Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 28: Dignity

The end of Peace Month will reaffirm the commonplace in my life, bringing to an end a certain sobriety, dignity, even nobility. The Peace Month effort is outward-looking: aiming to reduce & eliminate armed conflict and injustice. Yet much of the impact thus far to my participation has been to me. I've shared a condition described elsewhere as "in the world, but not of the world" - a detachment not aloof but without the anxiousness of the surrounding herd. My quest for peace will continue, without the dislocation of dehydration & hunger, but some subtle perspectives achieved from this month-long challenge will likely be eroded. Gross & immediate bodily pleasures and associated egotism will distract my attention, just as absorbs people all around. The Peace Month Challenge has not yet been a catalyst for world peace, but Peace Month 2009 has been successful. One day remains...

No comments:

Post a Comment