Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 25: Isolation

Over one billion Muslims are fasting everyday for a month during this Ramadan. They do not eat or drink anything during daylight hours. For Peace Month I've similarly gone without food or drink from dawn to dusk. When talking to people about Peace Month, I've been surprised how little they know of the Ramadan fast. Many people are surprised to hear that even liquids are not allowed. Media reports the start of Ramadan, and the end; but largely outside the public eye is the month in-between: a period of struggle, success and inspiration. I hope the Peace Month Challenge becomes steadily popular, and more non-Muslims will use the chance to challenge themselves and to see the world somewhat differently. I've learned a lot, though at times it's felt a lonely struggle. I'll also continue to increase my efforts for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment